Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Clean Turkey Burgers



 You know, sometimes, you just want a burger!  Barbeque season is in full swing, so burgers on the Weber seem like a natural choice, but I have also made these on the indoor grill with snow on the ground.  That's the beauty of a burger; they are quick, easy, and satisfying!
These burgers are made with lean ground turkey instead of ground beef (if I'm being honest, we RARELY buy ground beef anymore!).  Ground turkey doesn't have much fat, and if there is anything I've learned about cooking with ground turkey, it is that FAT is FLAVOR!  So you have to do something to flavor it up.  This recipe uses dried herbs that you probably already have in your pantry, but if you have FRESH herbs, I bet that will be even better.



The recipe:
1 lb 95% lean ground turkey
1 T dried minced onion
1 egg white
1/3 cup oats (instant or old-fashioned; I've used both)
1 clove minced garlic
3/4 t. sea salt
1/2 t. ground black pepper
2 T dried parsley
2 T dried oregano
2 T dried basil

When I made these, I put diced red onion in them, but my husband wasn't a fan, so now I omit it.  You can keep it in, if you like!

Directions:
1.  Lightly beat egg white.  Add all other ingredients except ground turkey.  Mix well.
2.  Add the turkey to the mixture and mix with your hands, but do not over-mix the meat.  Form into four patties.
3.  Grill until grill marks form and burgers are browned, 4-5 minutes per side.
4.  I serve mine with a slice of clean cheese, a whole-wheat hamburger bun, pickles, and mustard.  Top yours with the healthy toppings of your choice!



BE FIERCE and eat a burger : ).






No comments:

Post a Comment